Recipe for Sizing Canvases
· Place 1 Litre of cold tap water with 70 Grams of Rabbit Skin Glue granules or pulverized Rabbit Skin Glue, stirring a little ensures there are no lumps and leave to soak overnight if you used granules. Pulverized Rabbit Skin Glue should be ready in 3 to 4 hours. It will soak all the water and should be swollen and soft to the touch.
· Place the pre-soaked Rabbit Skin Glue container in another, containing only fairly hot water, and stirring to distribute heat evenly. The glue will melt into a soft jelly. If there are lumps strain it. Do not boil your glue or it will lose it's adheseive poperities.
· Brush it on into the canvas weave but thinly, making sure the glue went into every single thread and space in the weave.
· Leave to dry and then apply another 1 or 2 coats, always thinly leaving to dry completely before applying the next one.
· Lightly sand the last coat, to give a smoother surface ready for priming.
NOTES: For sizing a board panel on both front and back sides, follow the above recipe but employ 100 Grams of dry granules instead.